Saturday, November 9, 2013

A Beauty Blog for the Normals

I am very new to this.  I'm also very bored.  Here's the (short) story of how this first post came to be.

I started having random back pain every few weeks that was getting progressively more severe.  Eventually, I was admitted to the hospital where, after a week-long stay, I was diagnosed, via MRI, with degenerative disc disease.  As such, I have been spending less time than normal moving about and more time than usual browsing beauty junk on the internet.

I started getting really interested in the subscription boxes that I'm seeing everywhere.  I am a woman and I still love girly things.  Things that make me feel cute or pretty or even, dare I say it, sexy.  However, when researching which one(s) were worth paying for (especially since I figured I could stock up on the odd products I'm not as interested in to gift during the holidays) and I found one of two things:

1.  Subscription box bloggers who clearly either have a large readership using the author's referral links, which pay for the author's subscription boxes or where companies are supplying the boxes for free to the author.  I honestly don't mind this (and, seriously, if anyone ever actually reads this blog and wants a referral for a box I have reviewed, I would love for you to use my codes).  That said, most of these are NOT a review of the box products, but merely a listing of what is in the box.  Here's the thing, I don't care if my $30 box is worth $60 if that $40 eye pencil is in bright purple glitter and I'll never wear it.

OR

2.  Gorgeous 20-somethings who literally could wear black eye shadow and bright red lipstick, skip showers for six days, and forget to wax their eyebrows for a month and still look incredible.  I have nothing against these girls (quite the opposite, actually, I'm in awe that someone can literally be this gorgeous in real life), but I'm just not one of them.  I'm in my mid-30s.  I wear mom-appropriate makeup.  I like to feel pretty and look young, but I haven't seen the inside of a night club in ten years and I'm fairly certain my son would die of embarrassment if I chaperoned a school function wearing face glitter and false eyelashes.  That's just fact.

So, I decided to start this blog.  Clearly, there will likely not be consistently daily updates, but I promise that every product or box review will be accompanied by pictures of not only the product, but also how it wears on an average, mid-30s woman.  Hopefully this will eventually help someone either pick a subscription box, rule one out, or, at least, find a product that they will want to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment